Nepal President Ram Baran Yadav flagged off the Spinal Beetle on its journey this morning. Great photos here. Below: the press note with planned itinerary and local contacts in India and Pakistan:
After his near miraculous recovery from a spinal injury in 2001, Kanak Mani Dixit, a prominent journalist and civil rights activist in Kathmandu started Nepal’s first Spinal Injury Rehabilitation Centre, together with friends and family. The Centre, inaugurated by the late Sir Edmund Hillary in 2002, runs entirely on private funding. It now needs to increase its service from 38 beds to 51. “The Great Nepal-India-Pakistan Spinal Beetle Fund-raising Drive” (1100 miles) - and all for a good cause - is being made on a 1973 Volkswagen Beetle, raising funds at USD 100 per mile.
Kanak and his wife Shanta Dixit, a prominent educationist, started the drive from Kathmandu on 4 November 2011, going through Lucknow, Agra, Delhi, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Lahore, Rawalpindi/Islamabad, ending the drive in Peshawar. Please alert anyone interested in post-disaster care, spinal injury, Southasian connectivity, people-to-people contact, VW Beetles, etc! More information at Spinal Nepal website. Twitter: @spinalnepal; Facebook: Spinalnepal
- Nov 4th – Departure from Kathmandu. The drive heads forward from Kathmandu towards the Nepal Tarai. Arrival at Bhairahawa.
- Nov 5th – Arrival at Lucknow, India. Drive towards Delhi on 6th.
- Nov 7th – Arrival at Delhi via Agra, visit the Indian Spinal Injuries Centre at Vasant Kunj, New Delhi.
- Nov 8th – 11.30 am Press Conference at Women’s Press Club, Delhi
- Nov 9th– Arrival at Chandigarh
- Nov 10th – Arrival at Amritsar, then towards to the Wagah-Atari border.
- Nov 11th – Arrival at Lahore, Pakistan, visiting Mayo Hospital.
- Nov 14th – Arrival at Rawalpindi, visiting the AF Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine Rawalpindi (approval awaited).
- Nov 16th – Arrival at Peshawar, visiting the Paraplegic Centre at Hayatabad.
- Nov 17th – Departure from Peshawar.
Twitter: @spinalNepal, Facebook: @spinalNepal
Esha Thapa, Director, Spinal Injury Rehabilitation Centre, Saanga
Mobile: 98510-70320 e-mail: email@example.com , website: http://www.sirc.org.np
Kanak Mani Dixit, Founder-Chair, Spinal Centre-Nepal
Nepal mobile: 98510-53209, India mobile: 95607-58147
Dr Waseem Iqbal
MBBS, Dip Rehab Med, FCPS
Assistant Professor Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Head of Department
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine
Combined Military Hospital
CMH Lahore Medical College
Lahore Cantt, Pakistan
Cell phone: +92-333-5600-504
Dr. Zaheer Gill/Major-General Akhtar
AF Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine(AFIRM)
Abid Majeed Road
Phone: +92 51 561 31721
Ilyas M Syed
CEO, Paraplegic Centre
Phone: 001 92 91 921 7900-2
Mobile: 091 301 884 8845
Dr Khalid Jamil
Head, Rehab Med Department
Mayo Hospital, Lahore
Dr H S Chhabra (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Chief of Spine Service & Medical Director,
Indian Spinal Injuries Centre,
Vasant Kunj Sector C
New Delhi- 110070
Dr. R K Mishra
SIPS Super-Speciality Hospital, Shahmeena Road Chowk
Tel: 522-2258888, 9415171434
E-Mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
INDIA MEDIA CONTACT:
Tel: 46082436 (Ext 37)